180 capsules of 600 mg
3 months supply
Chondroitin protects joint cartilage just as powerfully as glucosamine. It simply does so in a different way. As a result the two supplements complement each other perfectly. Scientific research (the American GAIT-study) shows that taking both supplements significantly enhances results.
The advantages of chondroitin from Glucosamine.com:
- Outstanding quality! Our chondroitin (CS Bio-Active) originates from the most renowned manufacturer in the world, the Spanish firm Bioiberica. This chondroitin is used for scientific research due to its high quality. You can find a more detailed explanation above under the heading ‘quality’.
- Production meets strict GMP and HACCP requirements.
- Quality tested by an independent laboratory.
- High dosage: 1200 mg* chondroitin sulphate (CS Bio-Active) per day. This is the dosage adopted in successful scientific research.
- Label with information in your own language.
- A price that is much lower than is usual for this high quality: € 29,90 per bottle (good for 3 months of use). Volume discounts starting at 3 units.
- Supplied in capsule form. The advantage of capsules over tablets: faster absorption by the body and therefore easier on the stomach.
- The capsule can also be opened and the chondroitin powder can be dissolved in water, fruit juice or yoghurt.
* Dosage used in successful scientific studies is 1200 mg of chondroitin sulphate a day. Glucosamine.com supplies 1265 mg. High quality chondroitin sulphate powder (CS Bio-Active) does have a very high degree of purity of 95%, but if the missing 5% is not corrected for, too little chondroitin is supplied. This correction by Glucosamine.com is quite unique in the supplement industry and ensures that you don’t receive an iota less than what is printed on the label.
The physiological effect of chondroitin generally requires a little more patience than that of glucosamine. Noticing a clear effect may take as much as 2 months. A good assessment is generally possible after 6 months. Usually a period of one year is necessary for the back and the neck.
Glucosamin.com supplies chondroitin as a separate product, so that you can decide yourself if, and in which dose, you want to combine it with other products. Chondroitin combines extremely well with glucosamine.
The protection provided by chondroitin lasts for some time after one stops taking it. After this period, however, the protection dwindles. Most people, therefore, take chondroitin without interruption.
Studies of long-term use (2 years) have revealed no serious side effects. Use for longer periods of time has not been studied in terms of safety. There are, however, no indications that uninterrupted use of this supplement would cause more side effects than the slight side effects that some people experience during the first weeks they take it. Chondroitin has been available for a good 25 years as a nutritional supplement outside the scientific setting. Serious side effects have not been reported at any time during this period.
Chondroitin and our other supplements
Chondroitin sulphate is usually combined with glucosamine sulphate. Scientific research shows that the combination of the two supplements is stronger than each of the supplements separately.
If, contrary to expectations, chondroitin and glucosamine are not effective, then the vegetarian ASU Forte is a good alternative. In our experience roughly half of the people who do not benefit from chondroitin and glucosamine are helped by ASU Forte.
The greatest chance of success is with Arthro-5, the unique supplement from Glucosamine.com with 5 ingredients for supple joints. This product combines glucosamine sulphate, chondroitin sulphate and ASU with Hyaluronic acid and MSM. All these ingredients are present in the high doses used in successful scientific research. There is no stronger supplement for joint protection anywhere in the world!
Each bottle contains 180 capsules with 600 mg of chondroitin sulphate and 6 mg vitamin C each.
The recommended dose is 2 capsules per day (1200 mg chondroitin sulphate, from 1265 mg of 95% pure chondroitin powder, and 12 mg vitamin C) based on successful scientific studies. One bottle lasts three months with this dosage.
Chondroitin sulphate contains the following ingredients:
- Chondroitin sulphate (CS Bio-Active®)
- Vitamin C
- Magnesium stearate
- Gelatine (capsule material)
- Natural food colouring E171 and E172 (capsule colouring)
Net contents: 138 grams.
Chondroitin is harvested from bovine cartilage. This is the type of chondroitin that is predominantly used in scientific studies.
If you opt for the chondroitin sulphate from Glucosamine.com, you are choosing quality. In fact, we would venture to say that you are selecting the best quality chondroitin in the world: CS Bio-Active from Bioiberica. And that’s no exaggeration.
There is an enormous difference in quality among the many nutritional supplements that contain chondroitin. The reason for this is that pure and high quality chondroitin entails a complicated and costly production process. The high costs prevent many supplement manufacturers from using good quality chondroitin in their products.
It can even happen that at times ground cartilage is added under the name 'chondroitin' in order to obtain the cheapest possible product! With a purity of 5% rather than 90 to 95%, such chondroitin isn’t even worthy of the name.
Glucosamine.com takes no risks in its choice of supplier and procures its 95% pure chondroitin (CS Bio-Active) from the Spanish firm Bioiberica, which specialises in joint protection products. This is demonstrably the most renowned and trustworthy manufacturer of chondroitin in the world. The company supplies chondroitin for the purpose of scientific research and was chosen, after a stringent selection process, as supplier of chondroitin for the large-scale GAIT study, funded by the US government (see below).
Selection of the best chondroitin for the GAIT study
The American GAIT study (2000–2005) was the largest and most expensive scientific project ever launched for the purpose of testing glucosamine and chondroitin. The meticulous preparation included a search for the best quality chondroitin. There was not a single supplement in the US market that was able to fulfil the scientists’ criteria.
The following steps were taken in order to find the best chondroitin via this strict selection procedure:
- Only purified bovine* chondroitin was considered for the study. Merely ground (shark) cartilage was excluded. The scientists noted, in particular, the contaminants that these products might contain.
- Only renowned producers who had documented their working methods in a 'drug master file' were selected.
- A persuasive guarantee that the chondroitin was free of BSE was required.
- The samples from various producers were tested by five laboratories. The two best manufacturers were identified after this step.
- These two best producers received an extensive questionnaire from the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) concerning such topics as the procedures followed when manufacturing chondroitin. This ultimately resulted in the selection of one manufacturer: Bioiberica. This was sufficient reason for Glucosamine.com to choose Bioiberica as supplier for its chondroitin.
* Bovine chondroitin is chondroitin from bovine cartilage. Pretty much all successful scientific research is conducted with this form. There has been much talk about chondroitin from shark cartilage recently. The physiological effect of this form, however, has not been fully substantiated scientifically. A product from bovine cartilage, therefore, offers the greatest possibility of success. Another important complaint regarding shark cartilage is that many types of shark are threatened with extinction from uncontrolled hunting.
At Glucosamine.com low price and good quality is our standard bearer. Our choice of chondroitin from Bioiberica indisputably provides the degree of quality that we strive for. Still, the price of our chondroitin supplement is one of the lowest in the world! At Glucosamine.com, you really can get first-rate quality at a lower price than you bargained for.
The recommended dose of chondroitin sulphate is 2 capsules a day. You can take them at the same time or twice a day, as you wish. It is preferable, however, to take the capsules at meal times or with plenty of water.
Do not exceed the recommended dosage. Nutritional supplements should not be used as a replacement for a balanced diet.
Do you have difficulty swallowing capsules? You can open the capsules by pulling the two halves apart. The contents may be mixed with fruit juice, yoghurt or a bit of food.
No negative drug interactions are known for chondroitin.
Do not use chondroitin if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding. The supplement has an extremely favourable safety profile, but no studies have been conducted that exclude possible adverse effects on the (unborn) child.
Hypersensitivity of the stomach and digestive system
Chondroitin is a substance that occurs naturally in the body. Serious side effects have never been noted. Minor side effects that some people experience are generally related to hypersensitivity of the stomach and digestive system. In these cases nausea and excessive gastric acid are usually involved. Less frequently, constipation or even diarrhoea can occur. Generally nausea and excessive gastric acid can be prevented by taking the supplement with one or two glasses of water or by eating something at the same time.
Use by younger people
The use of chondroitin by children and young adults is not advised. A fundamental point is that supplements should not be started before the body is fully grown. ‘Fully grown’ is taken to mean both skeletal development and hormonal development. The reason that Glucosamine.com recommends this is that no studies have been conducted regarding the safety of this supplement for children and young adults.